Sweet poison

When Whiskey was a tiny puppy, we fed him grapes one day because he seemed very interested in them and liked them very much. Of course, he did! They are sweet and dogs have a sweet tooth and swarm to anything sugary like us humans to all the chocolate bars out there. They are poisonous for dogs, and we had to call the vet who then analysed the number of grapes Whiskey ingested vs his body weight. He ended up being fine but what a shock that was! We certainly learned a lesson.

Below is a list of the most common toxic foods for dogs and the associated health risks:

  • Chocolate (increased heart rate, vomiting)
  • Onions, garlic, chives, shallots, leeks (kidney damage, anaemia)
  • Caffeine (heart, lung, kidney and central nervous system damage)
  • Nuts (gastric distress and upset stomach, peanut butter is ok)
  • Alcohol (central nervous system and respiratory depression)
  • Dairy (mostly ok in small doses, can cause severe GI issues)
  • Yeasty dough (rises and expands stomach, produces toxic alcohol)
  • Mushrooms (many varieties can cause shock and immediate death)
  • Tomato plant or green tomato (can cause severe GI issues)
  • Candy, chewing gum (xylitol can lead to severe liver damage)
  • Rhubarb (issues with the nervous system, kidneys and GI tract)
  • Cherry, peach, persimmon & plum pits; apple seeds (contain cyanide)
  • Grapes, raisins (can cause irreversible kidney damage or death)
  • Salt (can cause neurological symptoms and seizures)
  • Nutmeg (high doses can cause sudden death)
  • Toothpaste, mouthwash (not a food but sometimes easily accessible)